Saturday 28 June 2008

Pak Choi

My best and worst day of the week is Wednesday. Its a low because I will spend all day working on my evil thesis but equally I get my vegetable box. This Wednesday I spent a lot of the day on Excel, which is very tedious. But then my ray of light arrived. This week in the box we got:

  • Cabbage
  • Pak Choi
  • Courgettes
  • Kohl rabi
  • Tomatoes
  • Lettuce
  • Carrots
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
As soon as I saw the pak choi I wanted to make a stir-fry. The pak choi was huge, I have only ever seen the smaller ones before. So I got a veal steak to put on the top of a noodle based stir-fry. I know it seems extravagant to use a veal steak but we had some in the freezer from the Farmers Market. I remember that we had it because the day before the people who we buy the veal from appeared on the F Word.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 Garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 Red chilli, finely chopped
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Pak choi, roughly chopped
  • Courgette, halved and sliced
  • Fine rice noodles
  • 1 Veal steak
  • 2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Fish sauce
Cook the noodles as instructed on pack. Griddle steak as you like and leave to rest whilst you cook the stir-fry.

Fry the onion for a couple of minutes and then add the chilli and garlic for about half a minute. Then add the mushrooms and courgette and fry for a minute or two before adding the pak choi, oyster sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce, cook for 2 mins. Stir in the noodles, serve with steak on top.

No comments: