Sunday 15 June 2008

Homemade Ricotta

I am willing to give anything a go and when I was reading the River Cottage Year book, I saw a recipe for ricotta style cheese. When I was in my local branch of Peckhams I noticed that they sold rennet. So I decided to give it a go.

All you do is bring 2 litres of milk to body temperature, stir in a pinch of salt and 4 teaspoons of rennet. Leave for 15 mins.


The milk will then have separate into curds and whey. I then spooned the curds into a cloth bag which is meant for jelly making (muslin will do) and hang for 2 hrs.


It didn't really take much effort to make at all. I used it in a spinach and ricotta cannelloni, which we had on Friday night.


The rest we had this evening with gnocchi in a tomato sauce. It was really good fun to make and easy. I would love to be able to extend to making other cheese but our limited time and space becomes an issue. I am sure that one day we will be making all our own cheeses.

1 comment:

Jules said...

This looks great. I'll have to try it.