Monday 10 March 2008

A Busy Few Days

My parents and my sister were coming to visiting this weekend. So for my mothers day present I decided to make Jamie Oliver's Pepper and Chilli Chutney from Jamie at home. My mum text me to tell she thought that it looked yummy and she would make it. But I know my mum and so I decided to make it. Its not that she can't cook, far from it. She just isn't into it! Luckily it made 2 and half jars, so I'll let you know what its like.

On Friday evening we went to see Jason Byrne, so I made a pizza dough for calzones for lunch tomorrow. By the way, Jason Byrne was hilarious. If you are not too sensitive to swearing, I would definitely check him out.

Saturday we had calzone stuffed with olives, salami and mozzarella. I made the dough from my favourite book, Dough. The bread is amazing. I have made some ciabatta from this book. I love it and I got the second book, crust. Unfortunately we didn't take a photo. I am sure I'll make them again so I'll put one on then.

Today, I made a root vegetable lasagne for dinner. I don't think that Andrew was convinced when I told him what was for dinner, but he liked the end product.



Root Vegetable Lasagne:

  • olive oil
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 2 sticks of celery (chopped)
  • 2 carrots (chopped)
  • 2 parsnips (chopped)
  • 1 swede (chopped)
  • 1 head of spring cabbage (sliced)
  • 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
  • splash of vermouth
  • 1 carton passata
  • dried thyme
  • dried oregano
  • sugar
  • dried chilli
  • lasagne sheets
  • creme fraiche
  • parmesan
  • cheddar
I heated the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Then I added the onion, celery, carrot, parsnips, swede put on the lid and let sweat for 10 min. Then added garlic, vermouth, passatta, season and add a pinch of thyme, oregano, sugar and dried chilli. This was cooked for 15 min until the sauce has reduced. Then add the cabbage just for a few seconds. I then layer this filling with the lasagne sheets, finishing with lasagne. I then topped with the creme fraiche and cheese. I like a lot of cheese!!! Then I baked for 20 min at gas mark 6.

I also made some brown bread rolls from the book of the moment, Dough. We tend to have soup and roll for lunch, both home-made. Though Andrew has opted to have a piece of the lasagne for lunch rather than soup. So here are a couple of pics of them to end this very long post!


No comments: