Wednesday 2 July 2008

Eating our greens


The veg box arrived this week bursting with greens, this week:

  • Courgettes
  • Broad beans
  • Broccoli
  • Spring cabbage
  • Kohl Rabi
  • Tomatoes
  • Onions
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
I seem to cook pasta on the day of the box arrival. I am not sure why but again we had pasta today. Once I saw the courgettes, beans and broccoli. I wanted to make a creamy lemon pasta with these veg.

So I blanched the beans in boiling water for a few minutes, for the last minute I added the broccoli. I fried a sliced garlic clove on a medium heat for a few seconds before adding one sliced courgette. After a couple of mins I added the broccoli and cooked for a minute. I then added the beans, lemon zest and lemon juice. I added some of the pasta cooking water, creme fraiche and pecorino cheese. I then stirred in the pasta. This topped with a bit more pecorino and toasted pine nuts. The lemon worked really well with the green veg and the pine nuts added a nice crunch.

We are starting to get a lot of tomatoes in our box now. So I expect that next weeks pasta dish will have a tomato based sauce.

Again this will be entered into this weeks Presto Pasta Nights will be hosted by Ruth @ Once Upon A Feast. The round up will be posted on Ruth's blog on Thursday.

2 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Don't you just love getting a box of delicious goodies that are always a surprise? Thanks for sharing this tempting dish with Presto Pasta Nights. Roundups are Fridays.

A Scientist in the Kitchen said...

I like vegetables with pasta. And fresh vegetables... hhmmm....